We garnered several media placements for our Write-A-Thon events.
1. JPR Jefferson Exchange, 12/9/11. Listen to a podcast here (we were on in the first hour, at approximately 8:30 AM)
2. The Ashland Daily Tidings, website, 12/6/11. Check it out online
3. The Mail Tribune, 12/7/11. Article below.
Amnesty International’s regional chapter plans Write-A-Thon events
Mail Tribune, December 07, 2011
The Amnesty International Southern Oregon Chapter and partners are organizing several events for the international human rights organization’s annual Write-A-Thon, held through Dec. 11. Rogue Valley residents are invited to write letters to authorities encouraging them to free prisoners jailed for expressing their opinions.
Amnesty International is an international, nonprofit human rights organization that “works to advance human rights and overturn injustice,” according to a news release. Launched in mid-2011, the AISO chapter meets monthly to plan and implement education and outreach efforts, and write letters on behalf of its key campaign focus areas: Chinese political prisoner Mao Hengfeng (jailed and tortured for speaking against forced abortions and sterilization), women’s rights and the DREAM Act.
AI’s Write-A-Thon includes 14 cases (see www.amnestyusa.org/writeathon/cases.php). Event dates and times are listed below. For more information, visit AISO’s website. Those who are unable to attend can get sample letters and case information to participate on their own from AI’s website.
- 5 to 7 p.m. today, Southern Oregon University Rogue River Room, Stevenson Union, Ashland (co-sponsored by SOU United Nations Club). Contact: Kathleen Gamer, 541-621-3299.
- 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 9, 1150 Janes Road, Medford. Coffee and tea provided; bring a snack to share if you wish. Contact: Eileen Adee, 541-773-4450.
- 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 10, 185 Oaklawn Ave., Ashland. Coffee and tea served, bring a snack to share if you wish. Contact: Meera Censor, 541-488-5683.
- 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 10, Rogue Valley Unitarian Universalist Church, 87 Fourth St, Ashland. Includes United Nations USA speaker Deborah Brown, Middle East/North Africa elections observer. Contact: Dave Lefkowitz, 541-482-0871.
- 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 11, Rogue Valley Unitarian Universalist Church. Coffee, tea and snacks served, bring a snack to share if you wish. Contact: Maryann Shank, 541-897-0799.